Why celebrate ‘Learn about composting day’!
Learn about Composting day is an annual celebration with a motto to educate ourselves and others about composting. Evolve Foundation is a society that cares about the environment & the people in it. We at Evolve, in our business, only choose eco-friendly methods. Our other and important goal is to educate society and encourage them to practice sustainable living. To celebrate ‘learn about composting day’, we would like you all to read this article so that you decide to start your own composting at home by the end of it.
What is Composting?
So, to start with, Composting is a natural process of obtaining organic waste matter that can be decomposed or recycled to be used as a valuable fertilizer. All the kitchen and garden waste like vegetable peels, eggshells, leaves, etc. can be mixed to decay and form a hummus-like material which is further used as a rich-nutrient matter for soil & growing plants.
Decomposition has 3 methods and Composting is an aerobic method (meaning that it requires the presence of air). The other 2 methods include: anaerobic (Used for large scale waste management and renewable energy generation, without oxygen) and vermicomposting (speeded up by earthworms).
Here is a video you can watch to learn about composting waste material- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFlhYS-_tpY
Benefits of Compost
Compost has many benefits. Here are some that you should know:
1. Nature’s way of recycling- Composting is a naturally occurring process that can extend the growing season when mixed with soil for agriculture. The soil gets a natural matter and replaces our reliance on petrochemical fertilizers.
2. Enriches the soil- Compost increases the nutrients and balances the PH of soil. It also attracts and feeds many microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, earthworms etc.
3. Helps the plant that is grown- Compost helps a plant build sound root structure and reduces their water demands which help reduce plant stress from drought and freezes as well. The vitamins and minerals contained in food also improve.
4. Waste management- To make compost, you recycle your kitchen and yard waste that otherwise would have been of no use. Composting not only removes content from our landfills waste but utilizes that content.
5. Good for the environment- Composting helps in reducing global warming, increase air quality & biodiversity, and protects from soil erosion. Of course, it is good for our environment.
Other than these benefits, composting is cheap, you learn to practice the 3rs- reuse, reduce, recycle and it is a super fun activity once you see the process and the results.
Reasons to start composting from today.
1. You do not need to be a professional, it is a very process with few simple steps.
2. You have all the raw materials at home (in your kitchen & garden)
3. It is a great way to remember that we are all connected.
4. It can be a great learning activity for the kids at home too.
5. It will make you more responsible and conscious of your environment.
During the current situation of pandemic everywhere, we are staying indoors and now is the best time to start with composting at home and educating others around you about it. We hope you learn about and try out this activity soon and have a satisfying experience.