World Environment Day 2020 and why do we celebrate it?
World Environment Day & why do we celebrate?
Since 1964, the UN selected 5 June as World Environment Day. It is a renowned day that observes environment protection and environmental issues awareness. It aims to engage the government, businesses and citizens to focus on the environment-related problems and encourage people to be aware and to take actions for the betterment of the planet. The day offers a global platform for all the communities to come up together and inspire positive changes.
For a global change, the involvement of every individual is essential. A theme is chosen every year as the topic of concern. For Eco Day 2020, the theme is Biodiversity. A lot of incidents have occurred since the last year like bushfires in Brazil, US & Australia, Locust infestation in South Africa & presently the disease pandemic all over the world. All these events signify the interdependence of humans & other lives. An urgent call for action is the need, as a large number of species has suffered and many on the verge of extinction. The host country for WED this year is Columbia in partnership with Germany for an official celebration.
What is Biodiversity & why is it important?
Biodiversity is the variety in life forms existing on our planet Earth. It is the different types of plant & animal species and their habitats in the ecosystem. Diversity is crucial for survival as it ensures natural sustainability for all life forms. It is the keystone for all the resources necessitated by human beings from the environment. It provides food, oxygen, & also services like pollination, supplying nutrients, climate control, etc.
According to the UN reports 2019, the ecosystem, species & population of different breeds of flora & fauna are decreasing in numbers adversely. Biodiversity loss is the extinction of species worldwide or local reduction in a certain habitat. Every living organism plays an important role, and loss to any species disrupts the balance in the ecosystem. The main reason to be blamed for it is Humans. The reckless activities performed to satisfy the need leads to factors like pollution, overpopulation, global warming, & climate change. This exploitation of nature & resources has created major problems. That is why on this World Environment day, it is the topic of concern.
Every business, consumers & individuals need to act now and bring a change. Evolve Foundation believes in sustainable development & as an enterprise, focuses on conserving biodiversity. Evolve thoughtfully plan its activities to withhold any negative consequence. It leaves zero carbon waste in the process, promote aforestation & encourage people to embrace sustainable products. Be a member of Evolve by joining in.
“To waste, to destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
What can each one of us do for our environment?
For the biodiversity to thrive and grow, we need to care for our environment. On this World Environment Day 2020, here are few points to keep in mind.
- Be aware- About the present situation, problems related to the environment. Regularly gather knowledge about it. The first step in fixing a problem is to know about it properly.
- Be active- Participation of every individual is needed. Actively join & support movements or projects that act for environment protection. It’s high time to act upon the issues #fornature
- Change habits- Learn how your activity alters our environment & change habits according to it.
- Choose responsibly- Whatever you do, always keep the environment in mind. The consequences of your choice have an impact on a lot of other factors. Choose wisely & be responsible.
- Be kind- As humans, with our ability to understand & think, it is our responsibility to be kind to every life on Earth. All lives matter, be it a microorganism, plant or an animal species.